Networking Tips for Asian Americans

등록일: 10.08.2015 10:10:29  |  조회수: 1397

Networking -- we all have to do it, whether we're in the market for new jobs or not. If you plan to stay in the same line of work, you may be able to get away with maintaining a small network of industry contacts, but if you're planning a career change, it's unlikely you'll know too many people in your desired line of work.

Effective networking requires casting your net to a wider audience. However, many Asian American professionals express strong feelings of reluctance about networking too far outside their immediate circles. For some, initiating contact with new people -- especially those in positions of power -- and asking for career assistance can be an entirely foreign concept, especially for those who grew up with a strong Confucian influence. Of course, some Asian Americans are great at networking, but more often than not, there are those who struggle with its very practice.

Carol's Dilemma

Carol, 28, a Korean American, decided to change careers after working her way up in publishing. She had exhausted her immediate network, including former bosses and friends in the industry, and recruiters weren't helpful since she did not have experience appropriate for her new target career.

Yet when challenged with the prospect of joining professional associations, linking back with her alumni network and even directly contacting companies in her new career target zone, she was hesitant.

Carol was raised to be polite, cautious and not-too-demanding with strangers. Although the squeaky wheel gets the grease in the US, in Asia, the loudest duck can get shot. Additionally, when speaking Korean growing up, Carol always used the honorific form to address strangers in higher positions to show respect. "I can't imagine asking a new person for help when I barely know him," Carol says. "I know I am typically more assertive at work, but when approaching my personal career development, at times I feel more culturally Korean."

Be Prepared with a Story to Tell

If you can relate to Carol, you need a tool to help you to meet new people. Members of the Five O'Clock Club, a national career coaching and outplacement organization, use the Two-Minute Pitch. This is a well-scripted pitch that better prepares job hunters and the happily employed alike for cocktail parties, informational interviews, job fairs and even cold calling potential employers.

So what is a pitch? It's basically a crisp, concise, two to three-minute response to the question, "Tell me about yourself." Having a good pitch means knowing whom you're addressing and what your job targets are. If you're exploring two or three different career options, be sure you have a unique pitch for each.

Know You're Not Alone

Everyone struggles with networking and keeping up with professional contacts. Many non-Asian Americans admit to being hesitant about meeting new people. So while it is not necessarily a cultural problem, you should be aware of how your background affects your attitude toward networking.

Network for the Future

Develop relationships for the sake of personal and professional development outside work. Networking is one of the best ways to secure a new job, and as you become proficient at it, you will always have a good base of people from which to draw for information -- and your lunch schedule will forever be full. Be prepared to network by knowing your personal pitch ahead of time, not when you're forced to look for another job. Knowing what to say will help you as you meet new and interesting people.

이민법

사람찾기

상법 · 소송