이웅진

결혼정보회사 선우 대표

• 현) 웨딩TV 대표이사
  • 전) 우송 정보 대학 웨딩이벤트학과 겸임교수
phone_android 213-435-1113
sunoola

마크와 엘리스의 러브 스토리...믿음과 용기있는 선택이 있었다 – 제 2부

글쓴이: sunwoo  |  등록일: 05.20.2015 22:39:09  |  조회수: 5146

다시 얼마간의 시간이 흘렀고, 기쁘게도 두 사람의 결혼소식을 들었다. 이후에는 전화로 가끔씩 서로의 안부를 전하다가 몇 달 전 오랜만에 마크와 엘리스를 만났다두 사람이 부부가 된 모습을 처음 보았다. 결혼한 지 3년 되었고, 두 아이가 있다고 했다. 

“한국에서 아예 살게 된 건가요?
    “마크가 미국 생활 정리하고 한국에 왔어요.

“본인으로서는 큰 결심을 한 거네요. 사업적인 부분도 그렇고, 언어도 그렇고 새로 시작해야 하는데..

엘리스를 통해 그의 얘기를 들었다.

“마크..한국에 와서 살기로 결심한 이유가 뭐예요?

“더 이상 멀리 떨어져 있기 싫었어요. 그전에 정부기관에 근무하면서 한국에 자주 왔었고, 그래서 한국에 사는 것도 괜찮겠다고 생각했어요.

그래서 엘리스가 한국에 들어간 후 1년 후에 한국에 들어왔어요. 한국에 온 첫 날에 그녀에게 바로 프러포즈 했어요.

“마크... 한국에서 생활하기 어때요?

“힘..들어요. 힘들어요..

마크를 보았다. 83년생, 우리 나이로 33세인데, 두 아이의 아빠이다.  NGO를 만들 정도로 리더쉽과 추진력이 있고, 사무능력과 비즈니스 감각도 탁월하다.  미국에 있었으면 엘리트로서 능력을 맘껏 펼치면서 살 수 있는데, 말도 잘 안 통하는 한국에서 새롭게 인생을 개척하고 있다같은 남자로서 힘든 시대를 살고 있는 그에게 연민 같은 게 느껴졌다어눌한 한국어로 말하는 “힘들어요”라는 한마디에서 그의 고민이 느껴졌다그와 헤어진 후에도 그의 말이 귓전을 맴돌았다.

“부모님 반대는 없었어요? 국제결혼이라서..
    “있었죠. 그때 제 나이가 스물 서넛 밖에 안되서 어리니까 시간을 갖고 천천히 생각하라고 하셨어요. 막 반대를 하시는 건 아니었고요.

“그때 마크가 점수를 따려고 부모님께 잘했나요?

“아무래도 부모님 마음을 얻어야 하니까 본인도 신경을 썼겠죠. 근데.. 어른들은 겉으로 잘한다고 좋아하시고 그러시진 않았어요.     몇 번 만나면서 이 사람 마음을 보신 것 같아요. 그리고 신앙심이 깊으니까 그 부분도 점수를 많이 주셨고요.

한국과 미국의 결혼문화를 참 많이 다르다. 한국은 결혼해서 사위로서, 며느리로서 해야 할 역할이 많다그런 부분에 대해 부부의 생각이 궁금했다.

“어려워해요. 친척 모임 있으면 안가려고 하고요. 한국은 친정 엄마가 딸, 사위를 많이 챙기잖아요.

그런 게 좀 어색한 것 같아요. 친정 부모님이 예고 없이 오시는 걸 불편해 하더라고요."
    "중간에서 애를 써야겠네요. 그래도 결혼 잘했죠?

“성격이 수더분해서 웬만한 건 그냥 넘어가는 편이에요. 미국이 토론이나 대화를 많이 하는 문화이다 보니 서로 의견이 안맞으면 꽁해있는 게 아니라 먼저 얘기를 걸어서 풀어요.    쌓이는 게 없다고 할까요? 그리고.. 마크는 굉장히 가정적이에요.     요즘 이 또래 한국 남자들은 일에 치여서 살잖아요. 이 사람은 어떤 상황에서건 가정이 우선이에요.

“마크.. 한국 여성들 뭐가 좋아요?
    “학력 수준이 높아서 능력이 많아요. 엘리스도 아이들 기르면서 제 일 많이 서포트 해줘요. 그리고 솔직하고 개방적이면서도 참을성이 있어요.

“결국 부인 자랑이네요. 
    “그래도 살면서 서로 안맞는 부분도 있잖아요?

“마크는 사소한 것까지 신경쓰고 보호하려고 하는 게 있어요. 처음에는 간섭하는 것 같아 힘들었는데,    살다 보니 그만큼 사랑하는 것이라고 느껴지더라고요둘이 안맞는 부분이라는 게 문화적 차이보다는 개인의 성향 때문인 것 같아요이런 거죠. 놀이동산에 갔는데, 저는 본전을 빼야 한다는 생각에서 놀이기구를 많이 타자고 하는데, 마크는 주변 분위기를 즐기면서 걸어다니는 걸 좋아하는 거예요. 이런 차이는 우리가 국제결혼을 해서가 아니라 보통의 부부들도 겪는 거잖아요.   그래서 서로 많이 다르다, 차이가 난다, 그런 생각 안해요. 누구와 결혼해도 문제는 있는 거니까.. 

마크는 지금 한국과 미국을 연결하는 마케팅 비즈니스를 하고 있다외국인과 한국인 사업장을 연결해주는 일이다그리고 커뮤니티 활동에 관심이 많아서 외국인과 한국인이 함께 어울릴 수 있는 활동을 주선한다예를 들어 강남이나 홍대 같이 사람이 많은 우범지역에 외국인과 한국인이 함께 치안활동을 하거나 아이들에게 원어민들이 멘토링을 하는 것 등이다한국에서 사업을 하다 보니 엘리스의 내조가 많이 필요한데, 영어 통역이나 서류 번역 같은 일을 주로 한다.

“엘리스.. 만일 형제 자매나 친구가 국제결혼 한다고 하면 어떤 말을 해줄건가요?
    “물 반컵을 보고 반 밖에 안남았네 하는 것과 반이나 남았네 하는 비유가 맞는 것 같아요결혼생활 자체가 어려운데 타 문화 사람을 만나는가, 할 수도 있지만,  같은 한국 사람끼리 결혼했어도 결혼생활에는 문제가 있는 거라는 관점이 차이 같은 거죠.  문화 차이가 어려운 부분일 수도 있지만, 당사자들은 그것을 극복하면서 그만큼 성장하는 것 같아요. 한국에서야 아직 국제결혼이 이슈가 되지만, 외국에서는 흔하거든요. 우리도 많이 바뀔 거고요. 저는 본인이 지금 행복하고 계속 행복할 수 있는 상대라면 겁먹지 말라고 얘기하고 싶어요.

결혼생활이 행복하다는 것으로 들렸다. 그리고 내 앞에는 세상에서 가장 행복한 부부가 앉아있었다마크와 엘리스를 보면서 글로벌 시대에서 달라지는 결혼관을 느꼈고, 20대의 가장 순수한 시기에 만났기에 용기있는 선택을 할 수 있었다는 생각도 들었고, 시야를 조금만 넓게 하면 좋은 인연을 만날 가능성도 많아진다는 것이 실감났다.

나에게 많은 생각을 하게 해 준 두 사람과의 만남이었다. 얼마 전 전화를 했다가 새로운 소식을 들었다.

“대표님..내년 2월에 셋째가 태어나요..

아직도 사랑이 뜨거운 두 사람이다.

Mark and Elises Love Story Courageous Decision, with Trust and Love  -- <Part II>

… Some time had passed, and one day I got a great news about their marriage.  We exchanged phone calls every now and then.  And several months ago, I met Mark and Elise.  I was the first time I saw them as man and wife.  They were in the 3rd year of marriage and had two kids already.

“Are you planning on staying here in Korea?”

“Mark wrapped up his job in the U.S. and we came here to settle down.”

“Wow, that must have been a big decision for him, I mean, in terms of language, and his career, everything.”

I heard about him from Elise.   

So, what made you decided to start anew in Korea, Mark?”

“I didn’t want for us to live separately any more.  Also, I visited Korea frequently before working for a government job.  So… I thought living in Korea was not a bad idea after all.”

“I came to Korea one year after Elise came back here.  I proposed to her on the day I arrived here.”

“So, how do you find living here, Mark?”

“…Rather tough, I mean ‘tough’…”

I looked at Mark, 33-year-old dad to two kids.

He possesses leadership and initiative (as he established an NGO by himself before), with excellent work ability and business acumen. He could make himself an elite guy in the U.S. with infinite potential to grow, but he is starting anew his career in Korea, where he is inhibited by language and other barriers.  I could fully associate with him for the toughness he was feeling on his shoulders as another man and head of family living the same time in the same society.  I could feel his burden from the one single word he uttered in Korean ‘him-dul-uh-yo’ (it’s tough).  This word kept ringing in my ears and stayed there long after I parted from them. 

“Were your folks against marrying him, Elise?  I mean.. marrying a foreigner…”

“Of course they were.  They told me to take time and think it over as I was only 24 something… although they didn’t totally oppose to it.”

“So, did Mark try his best to your folks, to earn some points?”

“Yes, he must have been concerned about winning their hearts over.  But my folks didn’t simply come to like him just because he played an obedient would-be son-in-law well in their eyes.  They must have picked up his genuine heart after seeing him several times.  Also, Mark’s devout Christian belief played a big part in winning their favor.”

Korea and the U.S. have quite different culture of marriage and marriage life.  And there are multiple roles to play as son-in-law and daughter-in-law.  I was curious about their thoughts on this.  

“He finds it hard.  He’s reluctant to go to family gathering.  You know, in Korea, mother usually cares for her daughter and her husband.  And Mark finds it uncomfortable when my folks come visit us without notice.”

“So, you need to mediate between them, I see.  But, don’t you think you are glad you married him?”

“He is not a picky person, tolerating over most trivial matters.  Since he is used to the culture of discussion and conversation in the U.S. as a way of solving problems, he opens up dialogue between us when there is a problem, instead of pouting and shutting up himself.  He doesn’t store up any grudges.  And he is a family guy.  Guys his age in Korea are usually buried up to their ears in work.  But, to Mark, family always comes first.”

“Mark, what do you like so much about Korean women?”

“They got ability, with high education level. Elise supports me a lot in my work, while raising our kids.  She is straightforward, open and tolerant.”

“So, you are praising your wife.  Even so, isn’t there a thing or two you two have differences over?”

“Mark tends to try to care and protect over everything, even trivial matters.  At first I felt like he was meddling too much, but now I feel it like the depth of love he has for us.  If we talk about differences, it is rather from differing personality, than from cultural differences.  For example, the other day we went to an amusement park.  I wanted to get the most out of the admission ticket, so wanted to takes as many rides as we could.  But Mark preferred to walk around enjoying the environment.  This kind of difference is common among other couples, too, isn’t it?, not necessarily because we are an international couple.  So, I don’t think about our differences any more.  Our difference, if any, is universal to any married couple.”  

Mark is presently operating a marketing business connecting Korean and U.S. businesses.  Also, he is enthusiastic about organizing activities for both Koreans and foreigners to bring them together, i.e. participating in ‘neighborhood vigilance’ with other foreigners and Korean nationals to watch over Gangnam, Hongdae, and other crime-ridden areas.  Also, he does language mentoring for kids.  Since he operates a business in Korea, Elise’s support is an absolute need.  She usually translates documents interprets for him.

“Elise, say, your sibling or close friends are considering an international marriage.  What would you say to them?”

“It’s like choosing to say ‘half a cup of water is already GONE’ or ‘STILL half a cup of water is there.’  Marriage is already a tough subjects, whether you marry another Korean or a foreigner.  There certainly could be a cultural barrier, but it will make you grow that much once you overcome it.  Still in Korea, international marriage can be seen as rare, but abroad it isn’t even an issue.  Our society will also change.  So, my advice to them would be to not be so much scared and go ahead with their decision if you are happy with your partner and will remain happy with him/her.”

In other words, she was saying to me she is happy in her marriage.  In front of me was the happiest couple in the world.  Mark and Elise made me think about evolving marriage trend in this global era.  They met first in their 20s, with their pure mind.  Probably that is why they could make a bold decision.  Also, they reminded me again that opening up your sight a bit wider will lead to many good karma.  They made me think about a lot of new perspectives. 

Recently I got another call from them, heard this good news.

“Mr. Lee, we are going to have our no.3 baby next February…”

Their love is still ON.

DISCLAIMERS: 이 글은 각 칼럼니스트가 직접 작성한 글로 내용에 대한 모든 책임은 작성자에게 있으며, 이 내용을 본 후 결정한 판단에 대한 책임은 게시물을 본 이용자 본인에게 있습니다. 라디오코리아는 이 글에 대한 내용을 보증하지 않으며, 이 정보를 사용하여 발생하는 결과에 대하여 어떠한 책임도 지지 않습니다. 라디오코리아의 모든 게시물에 대해 게시자 동의없이 게시물의 전부 또는 일부를 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송 등의 행위는 게시자의 권리를 침해하는 것으로 원칙적으로 금합니다. 이를 무시하고 무단으로 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송하는 경우 저작재산권 침해의 이유로 법적조치를 통해 민, 형사상의 책임을 물을 수 있습니다. This column is written by the columnist, and the author is responsible for all its contents. The user is responsible for the judgment made after viewing the contents. Radio Korea does not endorse the contents of this article and assumes no responsibility for the consequences of using this information. In principle, all posts in Radio Korea are prohibited from modifying, copying, distributing, and transmitting all or part of the posts without the consent of the publisher. Any modification, duplication, distribution, or transmission without prior permission can subject you to civil and criminal liability.
전체: 1,104 건