결혼이야기

이웅진

결혼정보회사 선우 대표

• 현) 웨딩TV 대표이사
  • 전) 우송 정보 대학 웨딩이벤트학과 겸임교수
phone_android 213-435-1113
sunoola

[글로벌 한국계 사랑이야기] 큰 아들은 중국계 며느리, 둘째만큼은 한국계를 만나게 하고 싶어요.

글쓴이: sunwoo  |  등록일: 01.30.2018 21:26:18  |  조회수: 2948

글로벌-0131.png

세상이 얼마나 넓고, 한국계가 이 세상 어디까지 진출해있고,
어떤 위치에 있는지를 실감하게 한 만남이 있었다.

발단은 한 아버지에게서 온 메일이다.

"저도, 아들도 이곳에서 웬만큼 알려져 있어서 이대표와 조용히 아들의 결혼을 의논하고 싶습니다."

바로 그 아버지와 통화가 이뤄졌다.

“결혼하시려는 아드님 나이가...”
“올해 23살입니다.”
“그렇게나 빨리 결혼을 시키시려고요? 무슨 이유라도...”
“이대표 칼럼을 자주 읽는데, 일찍 결혼하면 좋다고 하셨잖습니까? 나도 그 생각에 공감합니다. 실은 마음이 좀 급합니다."
23살 밖에 안된 아들의 결혼을 그렇게 서두르는
아버지의 속내가 궁금했다.

그분은 30년 전에 미국에 유학가서 정착했다.
한국에서 공학을 전공했고, 미국에서 엔지니어로 활동하다가
본인 기술로 회사를 차려서 성공했다.

부부에게는 아들이 둘 있는데,
자식 농사에도 성공한 케이스다.
큰 아들은 자기 분야에서 명성을 쌓고 있는 학자이고,
대학에서 강의를 하고 있다.

아버지는 한인 사회에서 신망이 두터운 사람이라
한국계 며느리를 맞고 싶었다.
하지만 큰 아들은 태어나서 딱 한번 부모 뜻에 따르지 않았는데그것이 바로 결혼이었다.

친구의 결혼식에 갔다가 신부측 하객으로 온 지금의 아내를 만났다.
그녀는 중국계 미국인으로
뉴욕 한가운데 수십층짜리 빌딩을 소유한 갑부의 딸이다.

주변에서는 백만장자의 사위가 되었다고
잘된 일이라고 하지만,
아버지 생각은 달랐다.

여전히 한국적인 정서를 갖고 있는 아버지는
자식들이 평범한 가정을 꾸리고,
일상의 행복을 누리면서 살기를 원했다.

무엇보다 같은 한국계 배우자를 만나
정서적, 문화적 공감대를 갖고 서로 깊이 이해하고,
시부모, 처부모와도 자연스럽게 소통하기를 원했다.

“그래서 둘째만큼은 꼭 한국계 여성과 결혼시키고 싶어요.”
“요즘 젊은이들이 부모 하자는 대로 하나요?
본인들 생각이 더 중요하죠.”
“그래서 일찌감치 결혼을 시키시려고요.”
“꼭 결혼까지는 아니라도 외국 여자 사귀기 전에
한국계를 자주 만나게 해서 마음을 정하게 하려고요.”
아버지의 이런 마음은 미국내 한국계 부모의 심리를 잘 대변한다.

어쩌면 거의 미국에 동화되어 살고 있는 자식 세대의 생각과는
다소 거리가 있을지도 모른다.
그래서 소개를 할 때는 이런 상황까지 고려해서
신중하게 진행해야 한다.

“아버님. 아드님은 아직 나이가 젊어서 가능성이 많습니다.
충분한 시간을 갖고 좋은 여성을 찾아보겠습니다.”
“네, 이대표에게 보험 하나 들었다 생각하고 믿고 기다리겠습니다. 누구를 만날지 모르겠지만, 이대표에게 많은 정보가 모이니까 잘 좀 부탁합니다.”

나는 사업상 1년 중 6개월은 한국에서, 6개월은 미국에서 지낸다.
지금은 한국에 있는 기간이므로
우선은 주변에서 여성을 찾아볼 계획이다.

내가 살고 있는 평창동에서 오래 알고 지낸 분의 따님이 떠올랐다.
초등학교 때부터 봐왔는데,
예쁘게 잘 자라 지금은 명문대에 다니고 있다.
두 사람이 친구처럼 만나면서 지내는 것도 좋을 것 같아
여성의 어머니에게 의향을 물어볼 생각이다.

Global Love Story - My first daughter–in-law is ethnic Chinese, and I wish I could have a Korean as the second daughter-in-law

I had a meeting that made me wake up and see how immense the world is, how far the Koreans are dispersed, and what they are doing now.

A certain father emailed me one day.

“I and my son are well-known around here. Thus I want to meet you face-to-face, and discuss things about my son’s marriage.”

I called back on the same day.

“How old is your son?”
“He is 23 years old.”

“Do you really want to make him get married so early?
What’s the reason anyways?”

“I read your column frequently, and in the column you mentioned that early marriage is advantageous in many ways. I agree with you on that matter, and I have sort of urgent matter.”
I was wondering why this father was hurrying his son’s marriage.

He came to the States as a student around 30 years ago. He majored engineering, and after graduation he worked as an engineer in a company. Later he founded his own engineering company, and the business was successful. He and his wife had two sons, and they also grew up fine. His first son was a renowned professor in a college.

This father was sort of a leader in Korean community, and wanted to have an ethnic Korean as his first daughter-in-law. The first son did not, however, follow his father’s wish, and it was the marriage.  He went to his friend’s marriage to congratulate once, and he met his would-be wife there. She was an ethnic Chinese, and was the daughter of a wealthy Chinese entrepreneur who had a huge building in New York City.

People around the son talked about the marriage as a blessing, and he was regarded as a son-in-law of a multimillionaire. The father was, however, dismayed anyways. The father who kept a Korean tradition in his mind wanted his son to marry a Korean woman and live a happy life. The father wanted his son to marry an ethnic Korean who can share the Korean culture and emotion, and can communicate with parents-in-laws and her own parents.

“Hence, I wish my second son to marry an ethnic Korean woman.”
“Do you think that the youngsters would follow their parents’ advice? I think that they have their own ways of life.”
“That’s the reason why I want my second son to marry early.”
“If it does not go as far as marriage, I wish my son associate with an ethnic Korean woman, and have inclinations for the Korean stuffs.”
This father’s mind set represents those of the ethnic Koreans in the States.

Their ways of thought may be different from the second generations who have American culture. Thus, when the introduction is to be made for marriage, such situation need be considered.

“Your son is still young, and has great potentials. I will look around to find a really good bride.”
“Great. I will wait and see what will happen. I do not know who the bride would be. I want you take care of this matter with sincerity because you also have lots of information.”

I spend half of the year in Korea, and the other half in the States doing business. Currently I am in Korea, and will look around for a good would-be bride in Korea.

I thought of a woman who is the daughter of my long-time friend who lives close by in Pyungchang Dong in Seoul.  The woman whom I know of from her elementary school days has become a bright beauty attending a renowned university now. I think that it would be nice to introduce her to the son, and I would call her mother and ask how she feels about this idea.

DISCLAIMERS: 이 글은 각 칼럼니스트가 직접 작성한 글로 내용에 대한 모든 책임은 작성자에게 있으며, 이 내용을 본 후 결정한 판단에 대한 책임은 게시물을 본 이용자 본인에게 있습니다. 라디오코리아는 이 글에 대한 내용을 보증하지 않으며, 이 정보를 사용하여 발생하는 결과에 대하여 어떠한 책임도 지지 않습니다. 라디오코리아의 모든 게시물에 대해 게시자 동의없이 게시물의 전부 또는 일부를 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송 등의 행위는 게시자의 권리를 침해하는 것으로 원칙적으로 금합니다. 이를 무시하고 무단으로 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송하는 경우 저작재산권 침해의 이유로 법적조치를 통해 민, 형사상의 책임을 물을 수 있습니다. This column is written by the columnist, and the author is responsible for all its contents. The user is responsible for the judgment made after viewing the contents. Radio Korea does not endorse the contents of this article and assumes no responsibility for the consequences of using this information. In principle, all posts in Radio Korea are prohibited from modifying, copying, distributing, and transmitting all or part of the posts without the consent of the publisher. Any modification, duplication, distribution, or transmission without prior permission can subject you to civil and criminal liability.
전체: 1,100 건