• 현) 웨딩TV 대표이사
  • 전) 우송 정보 대학 웨딩이벤트학과 겸임교수
phone_android 213-435-1113
sunoola

100번 선본 남녀, 과연 다다익선일까

글쓴이: sunwoo  |  등록일: 12.06.2015 21:18:48  |  조회수: 6137

만남 기회가 많다는 것에 대한

남녀의 생각

웹서핑을 하다가 한 블로그에서 모 여자 아나운서가 동료 아나운서와 결혼발표를 한 후 적은 글을 읽었습니다. 3개월도 안 되어 결혼결정을 하니 주변에서 신중하지 못하다, 기다려 보면 더 근사한 혼처가 있을지도 모르는데, 혹은 결혼상대가 숨겨진 재력가 아니냐, 결혼을 서두를 수밖에 없는 다른 이유가 있는 것 아니냐, 말들이 많았다고 합니다.

그녀가 사람과의 관계에서 정말 중요한 것은 만남의 시간이 아니라 교감의 깊이이고, 서로 완전히 믿어도 좋은 사람이라는 확신이 있었기에 함께 하기로 했다는 대목은 많은 생각이 들게 하더군요. 정말 내 사람이라는 확신은 오래 만나거나 많은 사람을 만난다고 해서 느끼는 것이 아니라는 거지요.

결혼정보회사는 어찌 보면 만남이 참 흔한 곳입니다. 만남의 기회가 많다는 것은 사람을 보는 안목을 갖게 한다거나 자신이 찾던 상대를 만날 수 있는 확률을 높여준다는 장점도 있지만, 만남에 길들여지다 보니 그 소중함을 잊게 하는 점도 있습니다.

이런 거죠. 이 사람이 괜찮은 것 같다는 느낌이 드는 경우, 더 만나면서 그 느낌을 확인하는 사람이 있는가 하면, 다른 사람을 더 만나봄으로써 결정하는 사람이 있습니다. 우리는 후자를 습관성 만남중독이라고도 하는데요. 이런 경우는 대개 만남만 수십, 수백번 반복하다가 결국 지나간 세월, 떠나간 사람들을 아쉬워하게 됩니다.

만남 기회가 많다는 것에 대한 남녀의 생각은 어떨까요?

남성1: 강한 확신이 없는 상태에서 다른 사람을 만날 기회가 생기면, 보통은 지금 만나는 사람보다 더 나은 사람이 나오지 않을까 하는 생각을 하게 된다. 저울질을 해서라기보다는 굳이 다른 사람을 안 만날 이유가 없다는 거다.

여성1: 여러 사람 만날수록 처음보다 좋은 사람이 나온다는 보장은 없다. 오히려 현재 만나는 사람에게서 한 가지라도 더 좋은 점을 찾아서 정들이는 게 훨씬 나을지도 모른다.

남성2: 내 경우는 뒤에 좋은 사람이 나온다는 기대보다는 주어진 만남의 기회를 최대한 활용해서 좋은 사람을 만나자는 생각을 하게 된다.

여성2: 만남의 소중함을 잊게 되고, 그래서 더 선택하기가 어려운 것 같다.

남성3: 꼭 부정적인 것은 아니다. 많이 만나면 내 스타일을 만날 확률도 더 높아진다. 10명 만났을 때와 20명 만났을 때를 생각해보면 안다.

여성3: 자신의 인연을 찾기 위해 만남의 기회를 많이 갖는 것은 공감한다. 하지만 그 정도가 지나치면 소모적이랄까, 지치게 된다.

바로  순간내가 만나는 사람에

최선을 다하자

옥수수밭 이야기 아세요? 남아메리카의 한 부족에서는 딸이 결혼할 때가 되면 아버지들은 딸들을 옥수수밭으로 데려가서 제일 괜찮은 옥수수를 골라오라고 한답니다. 거기에 맞는 신랑감을 골라준다는 거지요. 하지만 딸들 대부분은 썩은 옥수수나 아예 빈 바구니를 들고 밭을 나온다고 합니다. 좋은 옥수수를 봐도 더 좋은 것을 찾느라 그냥 지나치다가 결국 빈손으로 끝까지 오고 마는 거죠.

인생에서 가장 중요한 것은 바로 이 순간입니다. 바로 이 순간, 내가 만나는 사람에게 최선을 다할 때 좋은 결과가 있는 것이지, 아직 만나지도 않은, 혹은 만나지 못할 수도 있는 그 누군가를 기다리면서 지금의 만남을 헛되이 하는 것은 너무도 어리석은 일이라는 생각이 듭니다.

그런데 많은 경우, 그 당시에는 그 사실을 모릅니다. 제가 아는 어떤 남성은 인생의 황금기를 많은 여자를 만나면서 보냈고, 결국 나이가 들어 인기가 없어지자 지나간 세월을 후회하다가 결혼을 했는데, “내가 이렇게 살 사람이 아닌데..”, “나 같은 사람 만나 복에 겨운 줄도 모르고..” 이러면서 배우자를 괴롭히며 살다가 결국 이혼하고 말았습니다. 젊은 시절 아무리 잘나면 뭐하나요. 이 시점에서 그는 세상에서 가장 불행하고, 가난한 사람이 되었는걸요.

남녀 만남에서 그 사람의 가치는 스스로가 정하는 게 아니라 상대가 더 잘 알고 있습니다. 이력서가 아무리 화려한들, 결혼에 결격사유가 있다면 그 누구를 선택할 수도, 그 누구로부터 선택을 받을 수도 없기 때문입니다. 지금 당신에게 수많은 만남기회가 있고, 만날 이성이 줄을 섰다고 해서 당신이 원하는 상대를 만난다는 보장은 없습니다. 지금 당신과 같이 있는 그 사람이 최고의 상대일 수 있습니다.

100 Blind Dates… The More The Better??

Singles’ thoughts on chances…

I once read about a famous anchorwoman’s marriage story on a blog.  She announce marrying to her colleague anchorperson, and came under tons of comments from people, i.e. “… irrational decision to get marry after dating only 3 months, “she could pass this time and might have someone better…,” “there must be unspoken reasons for rushing into marriage…,” etc.

She wrote about her thoughts that it is not the length of time you’ve known your partner, but the depth of the feeling toward each other, and that she arrived at the conviction her husband-to-be was a man of integrity, so decided to marry him. 

In my marriage consulting firm, there are many matchings taking place at any given time.  You get to have a lot of meetings with your prospective future spouses.  There is a good side to it, of course.  You can improve your judgment to tell right from wrong.  Also, you may stand better chance of finally finding your the other half.  However, since the opportunities abound, you may not appreciate each meeting as something precious any more. 

For example, you may find someone right for you, and yet you move on to another blind date only to make sure your feeling was right about the previous match.  We call it meeting addiction.  They just move on from one blind date to another, and do this dozens and hundreds of times, ending up with no one by their side and with much regret. 

What do our singles men and women think about abundant chances of blind dates?

Man 1: You don’t have a strong conviction, and you have other chances… then, we may take a chance on the next blind date, anticipating we probably meet someone better.  We don’t mean to straddle on the fence.  We are only open to other chances.

Woman 1: There is no guaranteeing you will end up with someone better as you keep meeting new partners.  I’d rather find merits in the current one and try working things out with him. 

Man 2: For me, I’d rather take the present chance right in front of me and do my best, instead of pinning hope on the next opportunity, which may or may not happen.

Woman 2: Once you lose appreciation for each blind date, you may have hard time making a decision.

Man 3: We don’t have to consider it negatively to take as many chances as possible.  The more people you meet, the better chance you stand to meet the one you were looking for.  20 blind dates will bring you better chance than 10.

Woman 3: I agree on having many blind dates to find the one in your life.  We only need to exercise discretion.  Too many meetings will exhaust you.

Do your best right now on the person in front of you

Have you heard about the ‘corn field story’?  In a tribe in South America, fathers of daughters who come of age take their daughters to a corn field and tell them to bring the finest ear of corn they find in the field.  Most girls come back out from the field with rotten corn or even empty-handed.  They find a fine corn, but pass on to the next in a vain hope to find something even better, and end up in a rotten or no corn in their hand. 

The most important moment in life is NOW.  You’d better pay your keenest attention to the present and the person you share the present moment with.  Only then you may reap some harvest in life.  It’d be pretty unwise to look to an imaginary future partner, whiling missing on the current person in front of you.

Many people don’t know they are doing this at the moment.  I know a man who had many women during his prime days.  Eventually he’s gotten old and charms had long gone from him.  He managed to get married later in life.  However, he constantly vexed his spouse with complaints such as “I am not the kind of man to end up being your husband…,” “you don’t deserve me..,” etc.  Finally he divorced his wife and was left with misery and poverty. 

You don’t know your true value.  It will be known by others.  No matter how brilliant your career may be, you may not be worthy enough for someone else.  You may have so many chances of meeting new partners, and even there is a long line of would-be partners anxious to meet you.  No matter what, it is still valid to say the person in front of you right now may be the right one for you.

선우대표 이웅진의 전세계 한국계를 위한 결혼네트워크 - www.couple.net

문의: 82-2-553-4242(한국) 201-771-3118(미동부) 213-596-0220(미서부)  

이메일: james@couple.net

DISCLAIMERS: 이 글은 각 칼럼니스트가 직접 작성한 글로 내용에 대한 모든 책임은 작성자에게 있으며, 이 내용을 본 후 결정한 판단에 대한 책임은 게시물을 본 이용자 본인에게 있습니다. 라디오코리아는 이 글에 대한 내용을 보증하지 않으며, 이 정보를 사용하여 발생하는 결과에 대하여 어떠한 책임도 지지 않습니다. 라디오코리아의 모든 게시물에 대해 게시자 동의없이 게시물의 전부 또는 일부를 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송 등의 행위는 게시자의 권리를 침해하는 것으로 원칙적으로 금합니다. 이를 무시하고 무단으로 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송하는 경우 저작재산권 침해의 이유로 법적조치를 통해 민, 형사상의 책임을 물을 수 있습니다. This column is written by the columnist, and the author is responsible for all its contents. The user is responsible for the judgment made after viewing the contents. Radio Korea does not endorse the contents of this article and assumes no responsibility for the consequences of using this information. In principle, all posts in Radio Korea are prohibited from modifying, copying, distributing, and transmitting all or part of the posts without the consent of the publisher. Any modification, duplication, distribution, or transmission without prior permission can subject you to civil and criminal liability.
전체: 1,105 건