• 현) 웨딩TV 대표이사
  • 전) 우송 정보 대학 웨딩이벤트학과 겸임교수
phone_android 213-435-1113
sunoola

종교, 과연 걸림돌일까

글쓴이: sunwoo  |  등록일: 07.15.2015 16:46:44  |  조회수: 5291

종교가 다르면 

사랑도 힘들까?

좀 안타까운 사연을 접했습니다. 10년을 알고 지냈고, 7년을 이성의 감정으로 만난 커플이있습니다. 남성쪽이 유학을 가느라 6년을 떨어져 있었고, 이제 연애다운 연애를 하면서 만난지 1년이 되었다고 합니다. 오래 기다렸고, 믿음으로 어려움을 극복하면서 사랑의 결실을 맺으려고 노력하고 있는데, 뜻하지 않는 문제에 부딪혔습니다.

여성쪽이 독실한 기독교 신자인데, 남성쪽도 그러기를 바라고 있다는 것입니다. 그런데 하필이면 남성쪽이 불교라네요. 남성 본인은 결혼을 위해 자신은 종교를 바꿀 용의가 있다고 합니다. 하지만 부모까지 평생 믿어온 종교를 바꾸라고 할 수는 없지 않느냐는 거죠. 그런데 여성쪽에서는 집안끼리 종교가 다르면 서로 맞지 않는다고 반대를 한다는군요. 중요한 것은 결혼 당사자들의 의지인데, 여성은 중간에서 어쩌지 못하고 있어 남성은 답답하고 힘들다고 합니다.

이런 경우도 있습니다. 기독교 신자끼리 결혼을 했는데, 남성은 가끔 교회에 가는 정도인데 비해 여성쪽이 훨씬 신앙심이 깊었던 모양입니다. 어느 날 아내는 목사의 설교에 정말 감동을 받았다면서 헌금 액수를 늘렸으면 한다는 것이었습니다. 지금도 십일조를 내고 있고, 앞으로 집도 마련해야 하고, 아이가 태어나면 돈이 더 들텐데, 이런 상황에서 교회에 돈을 더 내고 싶어하는 아내가 남편으로서는 야속할 뿐이었습니다.

남녀 관계에서

종교가 중요할까요?

이쯤 되면 남녀가 결혼해서 잘 사는 것이 기적 같습니다. 결혼에 왜 이렇게 복병이 많은 건가요? 내 마음 편하기 위해 종교를 갖는 것인데, 그 종교로 인해 오히려 어려움을 겪고 있으니 딱할 수밖에요.

남녀 관계에서 종교가 중요할까요? 남녀의 이야기를 들어보죠.

남성1: 믿는 정도가 중요하다. 그냥 부담 없이 교회나 절을 다니는 정도라면 서로 종교가 달라도 맞춰갈 수 있을 것 같다. 하지만 광신도 수준이라면 종교가 같더라도 상대에게 부담을 줄 수 있다. 난 무교지만, 많이 믿는 사람은 좀 꺼려진다.

여성1: 4년 동안 짝사랑한 남자와 사귀게 되었는데, 자기 반려자의 제1 조건은 교회에 같이 가는 것이라고 했다. 주변에서는 개종도 아니고, 종교 하나 새로 갖는 건데 사람 하나 믿고 그 정도도 못하느냐고 하는데, 난 그게 어려웠다. 종교를 국적 같은 걸로 생각했던 것 같다. 그와는 흐지부지 되었다. 종교를 갖는 것도 큰 결심이 필요한데, 남자 쫓아 교회 나갔으면 힘들었을지도 모르겠다는 생각이 든다.

남성2: 난 무교인데, 부모는 독실한 크리스천이다. 만일 부모가 종교 문제로 결혼을 반대하면 나도 어쩔 도리가 없을 것 같다. 그래서 내 자신의 신앙문제도 아니지만, 사람을 만날 때는 종교를 볼 수밖에 없다.

여성2: 남자집에서 명절 때 차례 지내는데, 여자는 기독교라고 뒤에서 혼자 기도하고 있으면 그것도 참 당황스러운 상황이다. 믿는 사람들에게 종교는 생활의 일부이기 때문에 가능하면 종교가 맞는 사람끼리 결혼하는 게 맞다고 생각한다.

남성3: 난 종교가 없어선지 그 심각성이나 중요성을 모르겠다. 그냥 그 사람의 일부라고 인정해주면 안 될까? 부모가 반대해도 당신들 종교 때문에 자식을 불행하게 한다면 받아들일 것도 같다. 내가 너무 이상적인가?

여성3: 좋은 사람 만나기도 어려운데, 종교로 거절하지는 않는다. 내 주변에 독실한 여성이 있는데, 처음에는 다른 거 안 보고 교인이면 된다고 입버릇처럼 말했다. 그러다가 35세가 넘어가니까 종교는 없어도 되고, 키만 170 넘으면 좋겠다고 생각이 바뀌더라. 결국 종교도 키 앞에서는 무릎을 꿇는다고나 할까?

사랑을 얻는 일에는 그만큼의 대가가 따르는 것도 같습니다. , 집안 같은 태생적인 조건이라면 마음에 안 든다고 바꿀 수도 없고 받아들여야 하지만, 종교는 사람의 의지인데 문제가 생기면 노력할 뿐이지요. 다만, 종교 문제에 완고한 집안이라면 신중한 선택이 필요하겠죠. 이 문제로 고민하는 분들, 파이팅!

Religion, a Stumbling Block?

Different religion stands in the way to relationship?

Here is a heart-breaking story about a couple. They were in relationship for 10 years. During this period, for many years they were apart in distance as the guy had to stay abroad for a study overseas. They went through a lot and overcame many obstacles together through all these years. Now they were just one step to go to get married, then hit a snag.

The woman, a devout Christian, wanted the guy to become a Christian as well. And it so happened that the man and his family were Buddhists. He was willing to convert himself to marry the woman he loved. But, he was not willing to go as far as to force his parents to forsake their life-long religion. The woman’s family was strongly against their marriage as long as two families had different religions. Although in this situation the two love birds’ decision should prevail, her family wouldn’t move an inch and compromise about the religion issue. The young couple were caught in the middle of losing battle feeling helpless and frustrated.

Another story. Two Christians got married to each other. The husband was just a Sunday Christian whereas the wife was more into her faith. One Sunday, the wife was deeply moved by the pastor’s sermon and raised the amount of offerings on top of the tithe they were already offering. The husband doesn’t understand his wife about this, as they have many reasons to save every penny they can, such as having a baby, buying a house, etc.

Does religion play a role in relationship?

Now, it seems getting married and having a good married life is like a miracle happening, wouldn’t you agree? Why are there so many hidden obstacles in the road to marriage? We have a religion for the peace of mind. What an irony that we suffer over matters of religion and difference in religion. Let’s hear about the roles religion plays from men and women.

Man 1: The level of faith is also considered important even within the same religion. If you are just a churchgoer or visit Buddhist temple regularly, you may compromise easily with your partner of different or no religion. But, if you are on a ‘fanatic’ side, then even a partner sharing the same religion may find you and your faith too much to accommodate. Although I don’t have a religion myself, I find anyone with a religion uncomfortable to get along with.

Woman 1: I was in unrequited love with a guy for 4 years. He made it clear that his future spouse should be a Christian. I could turn myself into Christianity, and my friends told me “Yeah, go ahead and just start attending a church. What’s the big deal?” For me, it was a big deal. I thought adopting a religion was like getting a new nationality. In the end, we didn’t stay together and our relationship tapered off. Looking back, it would have been even worse if I had followed him to attend a church. I am glad I didn’t.

Man 2: I have no religion, but my parents are devout Christians. If I meet someone, and my parents don’t approve of our relationship on account of religion issue, I may listen to my parents’ decision on the relationship. So, I will consider religion when starting a relationship with a woman.

Woman 2: It would be an embarrassing situation in which the husband’s family is holding a memorial offering service to ancestors and the wife hides in the back room praying to God. It would be proper for people with the same or compatible religion to get together for a relationship or marriage.

Man 3: I don’t see religion as an important or serious issue. Can’t we just approach a person as a human-to-human, leaving out our religion? Even parents with highly serious faith level may in the end compromise their religion for the sake of their children’s happiness, wouldn’t they? Or, am I too much idealistic?

Woman 3: Finding a right person is a difficult mission already. So I wouldn’t turn a person away on account of religion. I know a devout Christian single woman. This woman kept saying she only needed to meet another Christian, and she remains single even at age 35. Now, she has given up on this requirement of being a Christian believer, and starts to saying she would welcome any guy 170 cm or taller. So a guy’s height is greater than religion!

Winning a love will take its price. Height, family, etc. are things beyond your choice. But having or denouncing a religion depends on your will, although it might be a challenge if your partner’s family won’t compromise on religion. Hurrah for those stuck in romance over religion! Best luck to you guys!

DISCLAIMERS: 이 글은 각 칼럼니스트가 직접 작성한 글로 내용에 대한 모든 책임은 작성자에게 있으며, 이 내용을 본 후 결정한 판단에 대한 책임은 게시물을 본 이용자 본인에게 있습니다. 라디오코리아는 이 글에 대한 내용을 보증하지 않으며, 이 정보를 사용하여 발생하는 결과에 대하여 어떠한 책임도 지지 않습니다. 라디오코리아의 모든 게시물에 대해 게시자 동의없이 게시물의 전부 또는 일부를 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송 등의 행위는 게시자의 권리를 침해하는 것으로 원칙적으로 금합니다. 이를 무시하고 무단으로 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송하는 경우 저작재산권 침해의 이유로 법적조치를 통해 민, 형사상의 책임을 물을 수 있습니다. This column is written by the columnist, and the author is responsible for all its contents. The user is responsible for the judgment made after viewing the contents. Radio Korea does not endorse the contents of this article and assumes no responsibility for the consequences of using this information. In principle, all posts in Radio Korea are prohibited from modifying, copying, distributing, and transmitting all or part of the posts without the consent of the publisher. Any modification, duplication, distribution, or transmission without prior permission can subject you to civil and criminal liability.
전체: 1,100 건