결혼정보회사 선우 대표

• 현) 웨딩TV 대표이사
  • 전) 우송 정보 대학 웨딩이벤트학과 겸임교수
phone_android 213-435-1113
sunoola

마크와 엘리스의 러브스토리 -- 제 1부

글쓴이: sunwoo  |  등록일: 05.11.2015 18:25:33  |  조회수: 6894

마크와 엘리스의 러브 스토리...믿음과 용기있는 선택이 있었다 --< 1>

미국에 지사가 몇군데 있다 보니 1년에 한두번은 현지에 가서 상황도 파악하고 홍보도 하는데, 그 때마다 어떻게든  몇 커플이라도 중매를 해주려고 애를 쓰곤 했다.

2009년으로 기억한다. 지사를 돌면서 주변의 교포나 유학생들을 초청해서 얘기를 나누는 자리를 마련한 적이 있다.

내 딴에는 캐쥬얼 미팅 식으로 서로 마음에 들어하는 남녀가 있으면 부담 없이 연결도 해주려는 다분히 사심 있는 행사였다.

한인들이 다수 참석한 그 자리에 미국인 청년이 한사람 눈에 띄었다.

자신을 마크 테일러라고 소개한 이 청년은 평소 한국 문화에 관심이 많았는데, 그런 사실을 아는 한 지인이 모임이 있다고 알려주었다는 것이다.

마크는 활달하고 유머러스한 남성이었다. 20대 중반이면 진로에 대한 고민이 클텐데,

비즈니스와 심리학을 전공한 후 자신의 미래도 개척하면서 관심 있는 분야에 대한 활동도 하는 모습이 보기 좋았다.

마크는 그날 한 여대생과 유난히 가까워 보였다.

두 사람이 초면이 아닌듯 싶어서 물어보니 여대생은 한국에서 교환학생으로 온 엘리스인데, 얼마 전에 마크가 한국 문화를 소개하는 NGO를 만들어서 그녀가 다니는 학교에 한인 학생들을 모집하러 와서 만난 적이 있다고 했다. 

20대 초반의 엘리스는 눈이 맑고 총명해 보이고, 자그마한 몸매인데도 야부지고 믿음직스러운 여성이었다.

마크에게 넌지시 그녀를 어떻게 생각하는지 물어보았다. 처음 만났을 때부터 좋은 느낌이 있었다고 했다.

엘리스는 말을 아꼈지만, 그녀 역시도 내심 호감이 있는 것 같았다.

하지만 1달 뒤에 한국으로 돌아가는 그녀로서는 특별한 인연을 만드는 것이 부담스러울 수도 있을 것 같았다.

한두번 만남으로 좋은 감정을 느낄 수 있는 사람 만나기 힘들어요.

내가 보기에 마크가 그런 사람인 것 같은데..포기하지도 말고, 뒤로 물러서지도 말고, 그냥 있어보세요.”

마크가 좀 더 용기를 내기를 바라는 나로서는 그녀에게 이렇게 말하는 게 최선이었다.

그렇게 나는 한국에 돌아왔고, 얼마간 두 사람 일을 잊고 있다가 1년여 만에 엘리스와 연락이 되어서 안부를 물었더니 마크와 연애 중이라고 했다.

장거리 연앤데, 힘들지 않아요?”

보고 싶을 때 못 보고, 서로 안풀릴 때 답답하죠. 근데..마크가 매일 이메일로 성경구절을 적어 보내고, 전화도 자주 해요.

제 시간에 맞춘다고 새벽에 일어나서 통화하니까 그 사람이 더 힘들겠죠.”

성실하고 한결 같은 사람이네요. 마크는..”

.. 그래서 서로 멀리 있지만, 마음이 처음과 똑같은 거 같아요.”

결혼 생각 안해요?”

고민 중이에요. 풀어야 할 것들이 많아요.”

그럴 것이다. 국제결혼 아닌가. 게다가 두 사람의 기반이 미국과 한국에 각각 있으니 거기에 대한 결정도 필요할 것이다.

힘들겠지만, 다 지나고 보면 아무 일도 아니더라고요. 서로 믿음만 확실하면 이겨낼 수 있어요. 힘들어서 이 사람과 헤어져야겠다는 생각이 들면..그 사람 없이 살 수 있나, 생각해보세요함께 힘든 게 나을지, 헤어져서 혼자 힘든 게 나을지..”

장거리 연애는 길어질수록 힘들어진다. 이제 두 사람에게 어떤 식으로건 정리를 해야 할 시기가 도래했다.

마크와 엘리스 부부.jpg

<2부에서 계속>

Mark and Elise’s Love StoryCourageous Decision, with Trust and Love -- Part I

I usually make trips to the U.S. a few times a year, as we have a few branches there. Whenever I visit there I try matchmaking for some couples there, apart from my regular business, i.e. reading business environment and working on PR activities. 

It was back in 2009. I was going on tour visit to each branch and organized gathering for Korean immigrants and students studying there. The gatherings were also intended to bring single men and women together for chances of matching them, in a casual setting. 

A participant stood out among the gathering. He was an American young man. Introducing himself as Mark Taylor, this young man had great interests in Korean culture, and got informed about this meeting from a Korean. 

Mark was an out-going guy in mid 20s, with sense of humour. He completed two majors in college, business management and psychology. He was a promising young man, working on both his future career and at the same time on areas of his interests. 

It looked like Mark was close to a Korean co-ed. It so seemed that they already knew each other. Elise, the young lady, was an exchange student, and they met in a NGO meeting Mark created to introduce Korean culture. Mark visited the college Elise was attending to recruit members for his organization. 

Elise, in her early 20s, had smart-looking bright eyes, and looked fairly strong and reliable, although she was a tiny young lady at still young age. 

I asked Mark if he got some feelings for her. He said he was drawn to her from the first moment.

Elise was more careful, and didn’t say much. But she looked as though she also got some feelings for him, too. But she was supposed to go back to Korea in a month, and probably it was not a good idea for her to start a relationship at this moment. 

“You know, Elise, it is hard to meet someone you are drawn to after seeing only a few times. I think Mark is one of those rare kinds. I suggest you to neither give up on him nor try doing something about it. Just leave it as it is, and we will see.”

This was all I could advise her, as I hoped Mark to take more courage. 

I came back to Seoul, and forgot about those two for a while. It has been a year, and I got reconnected to Elise, and heard from her that she is in a relationship with Mark. 

“..Must be tough on you two. It’s a long distance, right?”

“Yeah, I can’t see him when I miss him, and we get frustrated when things don’t work out well.. But, Mark emails me bible quotes and calls me pretty often. It must be tougher on him as he has to wake up early in the morning to call me in a different time zone.”

“So, … this guy Mark is a steady and reliable person.”

“He is… although we are apart from each other, our minds seem to remain unchanged from the beginning.”

“Are you considering marrying him?”

“My mind is heavy on this. We have so many things to clear up.”

Of course I understand her. It is going to be an international marriage if they marry. They have their lives rooted in two different societies each other. 

“It looks challenging now, but it really is nothing when you look back on it later. If you trust each other, it is something you two can certainly get over with. When there are moments you feel it too hard to overcome, think only this: ‘am I going to be okay without him, or not, ‘which would be worse for me, being troubled by staying together, or being sorry by breaking with him.”

Any long-distance relationship gets ever tougher as it lasts longer. There should be a breakthrough to determine to go on or get off. 

<…Continued in Part II>  

DISCLAIMERS: 이 글은 각 칼럼니스트가 직접 작성한 글로 내용에 대한 모든 책임은 작성자에게 있으며, 이 내용을 본 후 결정한 판단에 대한 책임은 게시물을 본 이용자 본인에게 있습니다. 라디오코리아는 이 글에 대한 내용을 보증하지 않으며, 이 정보를 사용하여 발생하는 결과에 대하여 어떠한 책임도 지지 않습니다. 라디오코리아의 모든 게시물에 대해 게시자 동의없이 게시물의 전부 또는 일부를 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송 등의 행위는 게시자의 권리를 침해하는 것으로 원칙적으로 금합니다. 이를 무시하고 무단으로 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송하는 경우 저작재산권 침해의 이유로 법적조치를 통해 민, 형사상의 책임을 물을 수 있습니다. This column is written by the columnist, and the author is responsible for all its contents. The user is responsible for the judgment made after viewing the contents. Radio Korea does not endorse the contents of this article and assumes no responsibility for the consequences of using this information. In principle, all posts in Radio Korea are prohibited from modifying, copying, distributing, and transmitting all or part of the posts without the consent of the publisher. Any modification, duplication, distribution, or transmission without prior permission can subject you to civil and criminal liability.
전체: 1,106 건