이웅진

결혼정보회사 선우 대표

• 현) 웨딩TV 대표이사
  • 전) 우송 정보 대학 웨딩이벤트학과 겸임교수
phone_android 213-435-1113
sunoola

여자는 외모를 안본다고

글쓴이: sunwoo  |  등록일: 03.09.2014 22:51:03  |  조회수: 10012

의사인 Y씨는 평소 옷차림이나 꾸미는 일에 크게 신경을 안 쓰는 편입니다. 털털한 성격이기도 하지만, 제가 보기에는 외모가 출중한 편이라 그 자신감 때문인지 굳이 남들에게 잘 보일 필요성을 못 느끼는 것 같습니다.

그런데요. 본인 생각과는 달리 그에 대한 여성들 반응은 별 좋은 편이 아닌지 서른 여섯인데도 아직 결혼 소식이 없습니다. 그러다가 얼마 전 그 이유를 알게 되었습니다. 그가 올려놓은 자신의 프로필 사진이 실물을 전혀 반영하지 못한, 아니 완전히 딴 사람 같았기 때문입니다.

사진 속의 그는 등산이 취미인 까닭에 화려한 등산복을 입고 목에 수건까지 두른, ‘의사하면 떠오르는 가운 입은 세련된 이미지가 아니라 말하자면컨츄리 스타일의 아저씨 같은 모습이었습니다. 그를 직접 본 적이 있는 저로서는 어이가 없어 웃음이 날 정도였으니까요.

그리고 떠오른 생각 하나. 남성들이 외모 많이 본다고 뭐라고 하지만, 여성들도 역시 외모를 따진다는 것입니다.

직장여성 E씨가 그렇습니다. 1주일 간격으로 2명의 남성과 맞선을 보았는데, 공교롭게도 조건과 스타일이 많이 달랐다고 합니다. 그래서 어느 쪽을 만나야 할지 잘 모르겠다고 하네요.

한 사람은 30대 중반으로 서울 강남권에서 5층 건물을 소유하고 임대업을 하는데, 지방대를 나온 평범한 외모의 남성이고, 또 한 사람은 30대 초반으로 영국에서 박사 과정에 있고, 집안은 평범, 외모는 호감형이라고 합니다.

조건을 보자니 얼굴이 딸리고, 얼굴을 보자니 경제력이 딸리고, 또 다른 사람을 만나더라도 이런 고민을 할 것 같아 둘 중에 선택을 하려니 고민이 된다고 합니다. 이런 얘기를 하면 누구는 왜 조건만 보느냐, 성격도 봐야지 하는데, 일단은 돈이건, 외모이건, 일단은 만나면서 성격을 파악하는 게 아니냐고 합니다. 그 말도 일리는 있지요.

여성들은 남성의 외모를 어느 정도 볼까요?

여성1: 카툰에서 본 건데, 연애에서 외모란 스포츠를 예로 들자면 지역예선과 비슷하다. 그 사람의 내면이야말로 진정한 본선 무대다. 그 말은 내면을 갈고 닦으라는 것이기도 하지만, 예선을 통과 못하면 본선 무대를 밟을 수도 없다. 그러므로 남녀 만남에서 일단은 외모를 보게 되는 건 당연하다. 꼭 외모를 밝혀서가 아니라.

여성2: 내가 볼 때 예선은 나이와 직업, 본선은 외모와 화술, 그리고 결선은 성격과 집안환경이다. 모든 남녀만남의 출발이 외모라는 데는 일단 반대!

여성3: 점점 능력 갖춘 여성들이 많아지면서 남자 직업과 학벌만 보는 사람들이 줄어들고 있다고 생각한다. 이제 남자들도 외모에 신경 써야 하는 시대란 말씀!

여성4: 흔히 20대에는 조건 안보고 사람 보다가 30 넘어 조건 본다고들 하는데, 조건 보는 여자들은 나이가 무기가 될 수 있는 20대에 승부를 거는 경우가 많다고 본다. 오히려 사랑 외치다가 결혼 못한 여자들이 더 많을 것 같다. 결론은 결혼 상대를 만나는데, 무조건 조건, 또는 무조건 외모, 이렇게 어느 것 하나만 본다는 것은 억지 논리이다.

여성5: 남자에 비해 그 정도가 덜하거나 덜 디테일할 뿐, 여자도 남자와 똑같이 두 개의 눈을 가졌다. 당연히 외모를 본다. , 그 외모라는 것이 얼굴일 수도 있고, 몸매나 스타일일 수도 있다는 것이다. 나의 경우는 얼굴은 별 상관 없는데, 배 나온 남자는 게을러 보이고, 자기 관리가 안될 것 같아 안 좋아한다.

Women Don’t Care About Men’s Look… Really?

Dr. Y doesn’t care much about his attire or grooming himself.  This is his easygoing nature.  Besides, he is confident of his good look.  And it looks like he doesn’t need to be conscious of others’ evaluation on his look

Be that as it may, probably women are not so much into him, unlike what he thinks about himself, for he is still a single at age thirty-six.  Finally, he came to know the reason why.  It is the photo that he used as his profile photo, which does not show his true look at all.  Actually the image in the photo is completely different from what he really is.

In his profile photo, Y is just a ‘country style’ dude in colorful hiking costume, with a towel wrapped around his neck, far from being a sophisticated image as a medical doctor.  Even I, who have seen him in person, burst into laughs for this outrageous misrepresentation. 

And a thought came up to my mind, a thought that women can be picky about men’s looks, as much as men about women’s appearances. 

Yes, for sure.  Ms. E had two blind dates recently.  Incidentally, the two guys she met were quite different in their conditions and style.  She isn’t sure which one to take. 

One guy is in the mid-30s, in real estate lease business and owns a five-story building in Gangnam. This man, however, has a plain look and a schooling from a mediocre college.  The other guy, in early 30s, is now in a Ph.D. course in UK, with mediocre family, and attractive look.

She is straddling between look and money.  And it is a tough decision for her, whether to go with the man with money, or one with the look.  Some may repute her saying why not checking their personality instead of focusing just on the look or their wallet.  She says back that the personality will come in later, once she starts dating either one of them.  Maybe she is right.

How important do women think about men’s look?

Woman 1: I saw it on a cartoon, that the ‘look’ in romance relationship is like ‘qualifying matches’ in sports games.  The real character and personality is like ‘final matches.’  This tells us two-fold message: that inner character is far more important than a mere look; and also that you need to pass the qualifying matches FIRST to go on to the finals.

Woman 2:  I think differently!  To me, age and occupation is elimination match, look and conversational skill is the qualifying, and character and family background is the final. 

Woman 3:  As more and more women are getting their own careers, fewer number of women look for men’s job and schooling.  Now is the day and age that men should care about their look, too!

Woman 4: They say in 20s you don’t care about person’s condition as much as the person itself.  And entering 30s they just start looking for conditions.  But some clever women in 20s look for fine conditions in men using their young age as merits, and succeed in getting married.  On the other hand, those hollering for ‘love, and love only’ may still be singles and keep looking.  In choosing a spouse, it is absurd to take ‘look’ only, or to focus on one certain condition.  It is not a right way of selecting your spouse. 

Woman 5:  Women have two eyes, also, to scan men’s look, although less intense and detailed than men’s.  Of course, women mind men’s look.  It could be men’s visage, body, or style.  As for me, I wouldn’t care much about men’s visage.  But I don’t like pot belly, for it makes the person look lazy and sloppy.

DISCLAIMERS: 이 글은 각 칼럼니스트가 직접 작성한 글로 내용에 대한 모든 책임은 작성자에게 있으며, 이 내용을 본 후 결정한 판단에 대한 책임은 게시물을 본 이용자 본인에게 있습니다. 라디오코리아는 이 글에 대한 내용을 보증하지 않으며, 이 정보를 사용하여 발생하는 결과에 대하여 어떠한 책임도 지지 않습니다. 라디오코리아의 모든 게시물에 대해 게시자 동의없이 게시물의 전부 또는 일부를 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송 등의 행위는 게시자의 권리를 침해하는 것으로 원칙적으로 금합니다. 이를 무시하고 무단으로 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송하는 경우 저작재산권 침해의 이유로 법적조치를 통해 민, 형사상의 책임을 물을 수 있습니다. This column is written by the columnist, and the author is responsible for all its contents. The user is responsible for the judgment made after viewing the contents. Radio Korea does not endorse the contents of this article and assumes no responsibility for the consequences of using this information. In principle, all posts in Radio Korea are prohibited from modifying, copying, distributing, and transmitting all or part of the posts without the consent of the publisher. Any modification, duplication, distribution, or transmission without prior permission can subject you to civil and criminal liability.
전체: 1,104 건