이웅진

결혼정보회사 선우 대표

• 현) 웨딩TV 대표이사
  • 전) 우송 정보 대학 웨딩이벤트학과 겸임교수
phone_android 213-435-1113
sunoola

내려놓을 건 내려놓자

글쓴이: sunwoo  |  등록일: 01.20.2014 00:00:02  |  조회수: 9449

“남자를 만날 때 능력과 성격이 우선이라고 생각했다. 내려놓을 건 내려놓자 싶어서 나이와 키, 학벌을 내려놨다. 얼마 후 1순위로 두었던 능력 있는 남성을 만났는데, 촌스러운 의상과 평균도 안 되는 외모에 너무 실망을 하고 말았다.”

30대 초반의 M씨의 맞선 후일담입니다. M씨는 내려놓을 건 내려놓는다고 했지만, 실은 다 따지고 있었던 겁니다.

흔히물 좋고 경치 좋은 곳 찾다가 다 놓친다고 하지만, 평생 배필 찾는 일인데, 내려놓기가 쉽지는 않지요. 어떤 면에서 포기하는 것 같기도 하고요. 세상에 완벽한 사람은 없는 거고, 그렇다면 완벽한 이성을 찾는 것도 불가능합니다.

‘미녀와 야수라고 불릴 만한 커플이 있었습니다. 여자는 한번 보면 잊혀지지 않을 정도의 미인이었는데, 그의 애인은 외모상으로는 왜소하고 평범했습니다. 그런데 두 사람은 죽고 못사는 사이였습니다. 그래서 제가 여자한테 물어봤어요. “그분이 왜 그렇게 좋아요?”

사실 전 굉장한 대답을 기대했습니다. 우리가 모르는 엄청난 능력이 그 남자에게 있나 싶어서요. 하지만 여자의 대답은 정말 간단했습니다. “그 사람 마음에는 내가 전부예요.”

그녀는 가정환경이 불우했어요. 아버지가 가정에 소홀해서 어머니가 고생을 많이 했다고 합니다. 그래서 그녀는 좋은 조건을 갖췄음에도 혹시 아버지 같은 남자 만나 불행해질까봐 결혼 같은 건 아예 생각도 안했습니다.

그런데, 그녀 마음의 단단한 벽을 무너뜨린 남자가 나타난 겁니다. 한결같은 성실함과 사랑으로 그녀 옆을 지킨 그 남자와 평생을 같이 해볼까 생각하고 있습니다. 그녀의 결혼조건은 우리가 흔히 따지는 학벌이나 능력, 재산 같은 게 아니라 성실함과 책임감이었던 겁니다.

내려놓는 건 포기하는 게 아닙니다. 상대에게 정말로 원하는 부분에 집중하는 것이지요.

능력이 좋으면 얼굴이 안 따라주고, 성격이 좋다 싶으면 학벌이 안 좋고, 이러면서 이성을 만나왔다면 앞으로도 마음에 드는 사람 만나기는 힘듭니다. 우리가 흔히 손꼽는 결혼조건 중에 이 정도는 빼도 되겠다고 생각되는 것들을 하나씩 내려놓아 보는 겁니다.

여성1: 연예인처럼 잘생긴 외모가 아니라 자신만의 기준으로 외모가 끌림의 첫 번째 요건이라고 생각한다. 아무리 능력 있어도 얼굴 못생긴 사람을 만나기는 싫다.

남성1: 자꾸 따지다 보니 장점마저도 퇴색하고, 부정적으로 되어가는 것 같다. 난 여자가 지혜롭고 착하다면 외모는 조금 내려놓을 수 있을 것 같다. 만나봐야 알겠지만.

여성2: 난 좋은 점보다는 나쁜 점을 먼저 꼽아보고 싶다. 요즘은 능력 위주로 자녀를 키우다 보니 공부는 잘해도 세상 이치를 모르거나 인성이 완전 꽝인 사람들이 많다. 능력이야 대학 나오고, 직장 다니면 사는 데 지장 없지 않나. 난 최소한 인격 장애, 분노조절이 안되는 사람, 자기 잘난 맛에 사는 사람은 일단 명단에서 제외하고 싶다.

남성2: 세상에는 다양한 사람들이 산다. 어떤 여자는 외모 보고, 또 어떤 여자는 남자 능력만 본다. 외모도 보고, 성격도 보는 여자는 결국 외모 안보는 여자들에게 밀리고, 그러다가 결혼시기를 놓친다.

여성3: 난 남자는 능력이 우선이라고 생각한다. 그래서 내 나이 또래는 별로 안만난다. 이제 겨우 적금통장에 1,2천만원 들어있는데, 어느 세월에 재산이란 걸 모으겠나. 그래서 난 나이는 포기했다. 경제적으로 안정된 생활이 가능하다면, 그래서 내가 직장을 나가고, 안나가고를 신경쓰지 않는 사람이라면 열 살 차이가 나도 괜찮다.

남성3: 성격파탄만 아니면 서로 노력해서 맞춰가면 되고, 난 음식 솜씨 좋은 여자 만나고 싶다. 음식 잘하면 살림도 야무지게 잘할 거 아닌가. 세상은 각박하고, 정말 살 맛안나는데, 집에서라도 안정되고, 평화롭게 살 수 있다면 그래도 견딜만할 것 같으니까.

누가 그러대요. “외모는 30분의 결혼식을 위한 거다. 사는 데는 정말 큰 의미가 없다.”

이렇듯이 내가 누군가를 만나 행복해지는데, 없어도 되는 게 뭘까를 생각해본다면 주변에

괜찮은 사람이 의외로 많다는 걸 느끼실 거예요.

20140117.JPG

Things to Compromise

Here is a testimonial from ‘M’ a lady in early 30s: “I thought man was mostly about personality and social/financial ability.  So I was ready to compromise on age, height and education, etc.  Recently I got introduced to a guy who supposedly had satisfying ability and personality.  However, I was dismayed at his below-average look…”  Well, she thought she was being compromising.  However, in fact, she was not a bit.

It is understandable.  Even for a picnic site, you keep looking for the perfect spot, much less looking for a SPOUSE!

Here is an unusual story about a couple.  They are dubbed “the Beauty and the Beast.”  The woman is a strikingly pretty girl and the guy is far from being a tall handsome guy.  I was curious and asked her “what is it that you are so fascinated about this guy??”  I was actually anticipating a huge answer from her.  To my amazement, her answer was short and simple.  She said “his heart is all about ME.”

This pretty woman had a gloomy childhood.  Her father did not care about the family, and put her mother to suffer.  As she grew up, she was extremely reluctant about having a relationship, for fear of meeting a guy like her father.

Finally, here came this man.  He tore down the hard barrier in her mind, with his all-time sincerity and love.  Now she is considering spending the rest of her life with him.  For her, conditions for selecting a spouse were not money or education, but her decision was based on the man’s sincerity and sense of responsibility.

Making compromises is not giving up.  Rather, it is focusing on the absolute merits (s)he can offer for you, rather than demerits.

This guy has a good ability, but shabby visage, and that guy got a wonderful personality, but poor education, etc.  You keep looking for a perfect guy, and such a perfect guy may never happen in your life.  We’ve got to get wiser and more realistic about the conditions we anticipate about our future spouse.  We have to compromise on relatively unimportant conditions, while focusing on real and crucial qualities you have to see in your future spouse.

Woman 1: My first expectation is the look.  It’s not a movie star look that I am talking about.  I am looking for guys looking handsome in my own eyes.  I wouldn’t want to meet terrifically able but ugly guy.

Man 1: If you keep reckoning with conditions, even a person’s merits may turn into demerits.  If she is a wise one, I may start dating her although she may look just so-so.

Woman 2:  Nowadays people care more about good grades rather than good characters.  There are people with excellent academic achievements yet with lousy personality.  I don’t want to meet those who have dysfunctional personality, with no control over their temper, and full of self-deception.

Man 2: There are millions of people with millions of different tastes.  Some women care about men’s look, and some others stress men’s social/economic ability.  Yet, there are women looking for men having both look and ability.  These women will only keep looking forever, without finding one.

Woman 3: I value man’s ability the most.  I hardly meet men of my age.  I don’t mind marrying a guy 10+ years older, as long as the guy can provide me with financial security and doesn’t expect me to get a job to share financial burden.

Man 3: As long as your spouse is not a psychotic, you may work it out with anyone with mutual efforts and love.  I’d prefer a woman who is a good cook.  If a woman is a good cook, she may also be good at managing household economy.  It’s tough life outside, and being secure and peaceful at home means a lot.  You can keep up the fight in life if you have peace in the family.

Some said “Beauty is only skin-deep and good for only 30 minutes of wedding ceremony.”  If you focus on things to compromise, I am sure you will find a lot more likable people to start relationship with.  Won’t you agree?...

DISCLAIMERS: 이 글은 각 칼럼니스트가 직접 작성한 글로 내용에 대한 모든 책임은 작성자에게 있으며, 이 내용을 본 후 결정한 판단에 대한 책임은 게시물을 본 이용자 본인에게 있습니다. 라디오코리아는 이 글에 대한 내용을 보증하지 않으며, 이 정보를 사용하여 발생하는 결과에 대하여 어떠한 책임도 지지 않습니다. 라디오코리아의 모든 게시물에 대해 게시자 동의없이 게시물의 전부 또는 일부를 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송 등의 행위는 게시자의 권리를 침해하는 것으로 원칙적으로 금합니다. 이를 무시하고 무단으로 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송하는 경우 저작재산권 침해의 이유로 법적조치를 통해 민, 형사상의 책임을 물을 수 있습니다. This column is written by the columnist, and the author is responsible for all its contents. The user is responsible for the judgment made after viewing the contents. Radio Korea does not endorse the contents of this article and assumes no responsibility for the consequences of using this information. In principle, all posts in Radio Korea are prohibited from modifying, copying, distributing, and transmitting all or part of the posts without the consent of the publisher. Any modification, duplication, distribution, or transmission without prior permission can subject you to civil and criminal liability.
전체: 1,100 건